Monday, March 3, 2008

Collective Consciousness

After posting my first blog, I found myself thinking a great deal about this urge to put my thoughts up on the web. Why do I feel an inclination to put my ideas up for review and open myself up to comments that could be potentially very negative?

In order to answer that I need to go on a relevant tangent - lately I have been thinking about the internet as an abstraction. We turn on a computer and look at the screen and ‘link in’ to a vast collective consciousness. We view many peoples’ ideas, emotions, entertainment, and humor. We communicate without ever opening our mouths, and sometimes I imagine that it appears telepathic to other animals.

We are The Borg.

What can be found on the internet is nothing short of amazing. Anything you could possibly think of can be found in some form on the web. You want to learn to tune a banjo? It’s there. Curious how to earn more money? It’s there. Want to learn how to sleep only 3 hours each day and still feel rested? It’s there. Want a loan? It’s there. Want free stuff? You can find it. Curious whether there are others with your same weird interest? There are. It’s rad. What’s more, things you would have never thought of are there, too.

I personally feel like that I have gained a great deal of value from the web. I get tons of entertainment, and a tremendous amount of information online. I frequently download audio books from my local library free of charge. Much of my communication is done online, instantly.

Although in general, my contributions have been very small. I am in general pretty self-conscious about writing publicly, and have mostly been what they call a ‘lurker’. Now I am trying to get past that, and contribute to the larger consciousness.

1 comment:

|:::lockan:::| said...

"We are The Borg."

Awesome. That about sums it up.