Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Incomplete Perception

We look past things.

We can be looking directly at something and just plain not see it.

Example: Take a walk down your neighborhood street, and I’ll wager that you won’t tend to notice any of the telephone wire mess above your head. In most instances you will only be vaguely aware that there are wires above but it won’t affect the scenery very much. If you actually focus more directly on those wires, you might find yourself surprised at how unsightly they actually are. The point where the lines hook up with the house tends to be particularly chaotic. There are also great big boxes or barrels suspended at the top of telephone poles that we generally don’t notice. I wonder how many times I’ve parked under one of those bad boys without realizing it.

I am particularly guilty of missing really obvious things, being an artist type. I could be looking directly at a sign. I will remember its color and it’s placement on a door, but have not actually READ what is written.

I never noticed that the brims on baseball caps had a functional purpose until I was playing softball without a hat on a sunny day. I kept using my hand to shield my eyes from the sun. I looked over at my friend Jason and realized that his cap was doing what I was doing with my hand. I am sad to report that this occurred in my late 20s. So in my case, I tend to miss some things that are extremely apparent to others – but everybody does it in some form or another.

I guess that is not surprising considering how much there is in the world to perceive. And we all come to this world with our own predispositions. I often see form before I see function. How do you perceive?

Please feel free to share stories of times where your perception has failed you.

No comments: